Playing BBC HLS radio streams on a UPnP renderer
For information about playing BBC HLS streams on an internet radio, see this page.
To use MinimStreamer and MinimServer to play BBC HLS radio streams on a UPnP renderer, you need to run MinimStreamer and MinimServer on a computer or NAS on your local network and follow the steps listed below. These steps assume you don't already have MinimServer installed.
- Decide which machine (computer or NAS) you will use to install and run MinimStreamer and MinimServer. It can be a Windows PC, a Mac, a Linux computer (a Raspberry Pi is ideal), a QNAP NAS, an ASUSTOR NAS or a Synology NAS.
- Create a folder named 'BBC Radio' on this machine.
Create a plain text file named
BBC Radio.m3uin this folder (with Windows Notepad, select ANSI). You can download a sample version of this file from this link. This sample file lists all the BBC national HLS AAC UK streams in the best available sound quality. After downloading this sample file, remember to rename it to
BBC Radio.m3uand make sure it has been saved as a plain text file and not some other format such as RTF (with Windows Notepad, select ANSI).
- Install MinimServer on this machine by following the instructions on this page. For the content directory setting, use the 'BBC Radio' folder that you created in step 2.
- If you have installed MinimServer on a NAS, you need to install MinimWatch on another computer on your local network. It can be a Windows PC, a Mac or a Linux computer. To install MinimWatch, follow the instructions on this page.
- On the computer where you installed MinimWatch, you should see a small icon with a minim symbol in your system tray or menu bar. From this icon's pop-up menu, select Properties and then select the Packages tab in the Properties window.
- Select the 'minimstreamer' entry that appears in the list of available packages, then click Install and follow the prompts. When installation is complete, click the Relaunch button.
- In a UPnP control point, select MinimServer > 1 playlist > BBC Radio. You should see a list of BBC radio stations. If you don't see this list, check that the 'BBC Radio.m3u' file has been saved as a plain text file and not some other format such as RTF (with Windows Notepad, select ANSI).
- Select the playlist entry for the station that you want. This should play the 320 kbps UK HLS AAC stream for the station.
This might not work with some UPnP renderers that don't support playing AAC ADTS network
streams. In this case, you might be able to get the stream to play by putting the setting
*:wavinto the stream.transcode field and restarting MinimServer.
- If something isn't working correctly, select 'Show log' from the minim icon and check whether the log contains any error or warning messages.
You can add more stations (e.g., BBC local stations or non-UK streams) by editing the 'BBC Radio.m3u' file
using a text editor. Make sure the updated file has been saved as a plain text file
and not some other format such as RTF (with Windows Notepad, select ANSI).
You can also add an icon image to a radio stream by downloading a logo image and
saving it in the 'BBC Radio' folder with a name matching the playlist name of the radio station.
For example, to add a logo for BBC Radio 3, download the file
and save it as the file 'BBC Radio 3.png'. There is also a downloadable package linked from this forum post containing all available BBC streams with icon images. After making any of these changes, select Rescan from the minim icon.
If you have any problems or questions, please create a thread in the MinimStreamer section of the MinimServer forum as described on the Support page.
MinimStreamer and MinimServer are available free of charge, subject to the conditions on the License page. If you enjoy using MinimStreamer, please make a donation to help with further development of MinimStreamer and MinimServer. You can find details of how to make a donation on the Donate page.
For more information about MinimStreamer, see the MinimStreamer website. Enjoy!